10.25.2007

Me. Sean. Spoon

Crazy mountainous drive to Asheville, North Carolina.

Comfortable silence.
Rilo Kiley on the iPod.
Destined to a birthday present for Sean.
Downtown Asheville is a really cool thing.
but no parking anywhere. Towing zones like mad...

Felt a little out of place.
Lots of college kids with lip rings, guys with "man purses", and unwashed hair.
Then I saw some people that could be our grandparents.
I felt a little soccer momish...and then I thought wait...I AM a soccer mom.
It made me realize that the girl with the lip ring, the soccer mom, and the grandma all had the same musical taste. Which to me is cool...a common thread.
We got the word "crispy" stamped on our hands.
The Orange Peel...what a funky place.
Way more intimate than I thought.
Sean sipped on beer, I sipped on wine. 4 glasses, but sipped it none the less.
Lots of diversity in the room...and I love that.
Sean put his hand on the back of my neck, and gave it a squeeze and says...this is just one of the reasons we moved.
I smiled...because he's right.
I went to the bathroom, and waited in line...and the girl in behind me says "We all our have our nose pierced, and its on the left side." She says this to me, and to the four girls in front of me.
I say...yes we are true cliches huh?
We were so close that the only people closer than us were the ones with their elbows on the stage. the others had their fingers in their ears, and I thought to myself "Why are you here then?"
The Ponys performed...I didn't understand a damn word the lead singer said.
The guitar player was drunk and was drinking a can of Blue Ribbon beer.
I was thinking I wonder how many others here like myself had to look them up on iTunes for tonight.
and then....
they came out.
The band that had us at hello...well not exactly hello, but had us when we saw them on SNL a couple of weeks ago.
Good music, from people that genuinely seem to give a shit about it.
And that is refreshing.
They were amazing...and I had an incredible time.
And I wouldn't have wanted to spend it with anyone other than my Sean.
I hate that he made us eat at Waffle House (gag) where the waitresses and cook were all sitting in a corner booth talking and smoking and only got up to take our order and give us the food...but it was 2 am...so whatever.

Court had all of my children for 9 hours...and I think she did an amazing job. They played our new wii, ate pizza, played some chicken limbo and I even came home to a clean house...

I am a lucky girl. Thanks court! For babysittin' the childWREN and for Rilo Kiley!

ps.
spoon rocks.
check em out.
love,
ash

7 people took the time to say:

Jody said...

I've heard such great things about Ashville. This post only made me want to find out even moreso firsthand. Perfect time for you and Sean...I love that COurtney was in charge of your kiddos. That is so cool. You have wonderful new, blossomung friendships and dreams in life. I love that for your family. =)

Kimberly Scott said...

I saw that SNL too! and you are dead on about them.

Unknown said...

i loved it
and you
and your kids!

sarah said...

so happy you had a good time!

Anonymous said...

I AM SO FLIPPIN JEALOUS!!! I ADORE SPOON!! Just another reason I need to come visit, me, you and Court.....seriously need to plan this out, I MUST COME!!!

jay bird

Anonymous said...

I was just blog hopping and like to stop by yours occasionally. I had to laugh at your comment about the parking in Asheville because I GOT TOWED THERE THIS WEEK! =D My siter, my mom, and I went to Gem and Lapidary Show at the Civic Auditorium and we thought we were parking in the church parking lot across the street, but accidently parked in the apartment lot. My sister and mom are both use canes so we were trying to get as close as possible (there isn't enough handicapped parking) so came back three hours later to no vehicle! Needless to say, it was a memorable trip and a lesson learned! I agree, Asheville is a really neat place.

jenjock1 said...

my brother gave me a copy of a spoon cd a few months back, he was convinced it would 'change my life forever', he loves them. me...not so much. BUT. I'm glad you had fun.