12.29.2007

My Secret.

So this secret I have been talking about for the last month or so....its here. I can talk about it now. I can shout it from the rooftops now. I can be proud of it publicly now.


Back in July Jeanette asked me if I would design a collection for the January at Scrap In Style Tv. Um...can we say absolutely? Can we say dream come true? Can we say some things from my sketch book could finally come alive?

I tossed a few ideas around, but the one that seemed the most fun...and refelected my personality the most was this one. Rainbow Sushi. I will be the first to admit - I don't like sushi. I have always wanted to be cool and to say Sushi Date or I love Sushi just because most people do...but I've tried more than twice...and i just don't dig it. But it does inspire me. The neatness of it. The colors. The artform. I thought about California Love Rolls, chopsticks for rubons, adhesive fortunes, bamboo mats for album covers...so i took those ideas and added a little bit of "me" in them.

I had everything sketched out because I was going to send them to a graphic designer to create them in Adobe Illustrator. So me not being an artist but having a complete and total vision in my head, sat down and used a goldfish bowl full of my kids crayola crayons I sketched my vision. I was only working with a few colors so I was literally using little "nubs" of crayons. Each time I completed a design I would tape it up on my wall to see how everything worked together. My sweet sweet spicy friend Courtney came over, and I needed her honest opinion about them. She looked them over and said I don't think you need a graphic desginer at all. I love the rawness that the Crayola gives it. At first I was like you are kidding me right? These are just rough sketches to give a REAL artist. But I took a few steps back...and she was right. I had never seen anything like it. Definitely different. Definitely a little dirty, grungy, and raw. And it really opened up my eyes to other possibilities for future things.

So...the January collection will had my heart, soul, and lots of Crayola shavings poured into it.

When Jeanette asked me back in July if I would do this...one of the first things I said was...do I get to pick the designer? Since 2003, i have been in love with Tara Whitney. She is just the coolest to me. Her approach, her style, her chill attitude...and so down to earth. I remember like two years ago sending her a present, and I felt like a little kid with a crush...so fast forward a couple years and here I am with this insanely cool opportunity to create my own collection PLUS pick a designer. So Tara totally just was the cherry on top of my big ole rainbow sushi sundae. That is the coolest to me!

Jeanette gave me total creative freedom, and really trusted my vision. And that means the world to me. She didn't limit me, she didn't hold me back...she seriously just let me do what I was inspired to do.
Now I know this collection isn't for everyone...I'm even sure some people would say their first graders can color too! But I know that I put my heart into everything that will be in the collection...from the paper, to the adhesive fortunes, to the fortune cookie, to the calendar, all the way to the flashcards...and you know what? I am proud of it. I am goofily happy about it...and thats enough for me.
I hope you all enjoy it. Even if you hate sushi (like me) you will LOVE rainbow sushi.
pop some cyber champagne with me to celebrate!
aw

27 people took the time to say:

Amber said...

i can't wait to see.
i know i will luv rainbow sushi, even though i don't like sushi either.
congrats my friend.
i know this is huge for you.
you deserve it.
xoxoxo

sally hanna said...

fantastic project ashley, congrats!!
can't wait to see your sushi-licious-ness!

pakosta said...

so very proud of yOU!!!
i can't wait to see it!
tara

looks cool from what i can see!!!!!!!!!!!

staceyfike said...

i cannot wait to see it!!
congrats!!

see you soon ♥

Courtney DeLaura said...

it's perfect and so are you.
much love
mush mush love!

Court

Gillian Ottaway said...

It looks amazing! You have every right to be ridiculously proud of yourself :)

Jessica O'Brien said...

That *is* huge and SO, SO exciting!!! I can't wait to see it all :)

Kimberly Scott said...

I can't wait! maybe I will finally get motivated to join the scrapbooking world again!!

Heather said...

congrats honey!
i can't wait to see the whole thing!

Amy said...

i hate sushi (like you) but i LOOVE rainbow sushi aleady! can't wait to see it in person :) you inspire me.

Tanya said...

There are not enough words to describe how excited I am for you! I know how long you've wanted something like this to happen...and it couldn't have happened to a better person!!!!
Love you!

Pound said...

ohhh ash!!!! that is awesome! is it up yet? i wanna see!
i looove sushi :P the real kind and yours.

caroline said...

i can't wait to see the rest!

Anonymous said...

oh my you go girl!
this is just soooo
unbelievably awesome!
you deserve nothing less
and i love crayons too!
well done!

Antoinette said...

Congrats Ashley, the peak looks great! I do love sushi and I'm sure I'll love your Rainbow Sushi as well!! Can't wait to see more...

Maria said...

SO excited for you Ashley!!!!

Anonymous said...

cannot wait!
xo

Jody said...

My box of Rainbow Sushi just arrived...YOU should and can be proud. Delish! Love to you. I am thrilled for you and this amazing project.

Anonymous said...

soo happy for you ashley! this collection sounds like it's gonna be a blast!! can't wait to see it!

michelle raMirez said...

crayons?!?
could you be any more creative?
dang.
so excited for you about this.

glo.riah said...

congrats!!
i am so stoked that you got to do this, i love seeing the world through your eyes!!

:)

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to see it ever since I read about it on the SIS newsletter! I love sushi! Orange chopsticks? So cool! I'm sure I'm gonna love it! Congrats on the work :)

Gigi said...

so sorry it took me a dog's age to get my ass over here to say:

YAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO!!!!

i'll take you
your "nubs"
your finicky palate
& some fortune cookies ANY day of the week my dear...including christmas & new years...

you should be proud & my heart is bursting for you :)

xoxoxoxo
love you to the nubs :)

gi

Kelly said...

Congratulations Ashley.
I will be getting my hands on this. Even if i have to stay up all night to do it.
You are AWESOME Ashley and I can't wait!

Love Kel xxx

Breanne Crawford said...

i am so excited for you and for rainbow sushi. this is BIG, my friend. and you totally rock. congrats!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog, very cool. From your music selection to your honest admission of your dislike of sushi (me, too!) to your scrapbooking fever (me, too!) I know I'll enjoy your posts. Congrtas on your cool new project, can't wait to see it all! tootles!

e said...

so deserved.
congrats my friend...
can't wait to order and play ;)
xxxxxxxxxe