11.22.2005

Compli-sults

You know those compliments that you get that are insulting? Like the intentions from the compliment giver are genuine...and they truly, truly mean what they are saying but they add like this crappy comment on the end to complete erase the original intent of the compliment....

For example:

"WOW!!! Barbara!! You look fantastic! How much weight have you lost? You look incredible, I mean because you used to be really effing fat and WOW just look at you now!!"...

NO NO NO i didn't have to bitch slap someone for saying that to me I just made that one up...but you get the drift.

HERE is mine...

Sean after enjoying a nice big bowl of homemade turkey chili says:
"This chili is absolutely declicous. Seriously baby...you have really come into your own. You cook really, really awesome now. I am so proud of you. I was worried at first about your cooking...even when you followed recipes I was worried".

Gee thanks babe...i think.

:o)

So tell me the "Compli-sults" you've gotten...

11 people took the time to say:

Anonymous said...

ok so my hubby was a dumb jock in highschool and dated all the lil cheerleaders and homecoming queens.........I soooo was not one of those girls in higschool, I was an art geek. We get together and the first time he said I love you it came out more like........."for the first time in my life I care for somebody and it doesn't matter what you look like, I'm in love with your personality" I know he meant well and was just saying that he loved me inside and out, but it could have very easily been taken "Look it doesn't matter that your an ugly ass........I still love ya"

Anonymous said...

What alison said...that happens to me all the time!

The most recent was my MIL was telling how her friend is so crafty and stays home and crafts all day. Then she says "like you." So I was like "Crafts?" and she was like "well, scrapbooking, you stay home and do your scrapbooks all day." I was like HELLO! We have one car, two kids with two schedules, I drive DH to work and pick him up; errands; maybe I get to see a Law and Order and Charmed. I'm lucky if I get a shower before noon! I don't even have time to vaccuum! It really bugged me! DH can't figure out why. But he's gone all day, has no idea!

So I know what you mean! And they just slip it in, all casual-like. BUGS!

Amber said...

i've had many, but i suck at thinking of stuff like this on the spot. i will try to think, but as of now i gots nothing...how freakin boring am i today!?

e said...

backhanded compliments....ahhh yeah....I've gotten plenty of them...can I think of any?
nah....
mine are usually about how cute my boys are, followed closely w/ me having my hands full.

hope you have a VERY happy thanksgiving love..
xxe

Raina* said...

get them AAAAAALLLLLL the time however my #1 almost every other day.....

"Wow, I would have never thought to pair that piece of clothing with that other one. I would never wear that together, but on you, you can get away with it."

What the heck does it mean that I can 'get away with wearing' something???

Anonymous said...

LOL! I just love the word, 'compli-sults'! Too funny! Of course this has happened to me MANY of times - just can't think of any at this particular moment. Now it's going to bug me majorly until I think of one. Grrr!

Happy Turkey day sweetie!

Hugs!
C.

Anonymous said...

how about this:
after having met my MIL-to be she said: you look pretty and all but you WILL take out your nose ring on your wedding day WON'T YOU? haha yeah right.

Chares Square Co-op said...

Oh baby I love it. I couldn't for a little while figure out just what your new word was supposed to say and really really thought I read "sluts" 3 times. As for compli-sluts I've experienced...damn girl it's the end of a long hard day and I'll plead the 5th...at least for now. Love ya sweet sass. (I said sass not ass...get your mind outta the gutter).

Di said...

My godmother said this, she was talking to a friend of hers who knew my sister and I when we were younger, and was telling her about my sister now, she was saying

"She grew up to be so beautiful and exotic looking..." {turns to me to see me listening to her conversation} "You're pretty, too."

ugh, gee...thanks?

Or, one I got on a date last year:

"You're very pretty in the face."

uhhhh, ok.

hahaha.

Anonymous said...

my dh does this too:

"Wow, honey, this dinner is good. You know what would make it really good?..."

BITE ME!

Anonymous said...

One of many from my mil: "You have a nice figure except your butt is too big".
I think that part of the brain that filters what you think from what is appropriate to say is missing from hers.
Thanks for the new term! Now I can ask her - is that a complisult?!