6.12.2007

Zen Speak.

The whole Zen thing has really opened my eyes to alot of things.
I don't really know what I believe as far as religion goes. I went to a church in highschool and it really screwed with my head.

So for the last 10 years of my life, I have been with the attitude of "Well if THAT'S a Christian...I don't want to be one".
I mean what's so wrong with saying I don't know?
What's wrong with saying you have questions?

So I know Zen ties deeply with Buddhism.
I am all about taking what my mind and soul need and applying it to my life.
I don't care what religion it comes from.

If it opens my eyes, makes me see more clearly, makes me want to be a better human being, mother, wife, sister, and daughter, if it gives me peace of mind and peace in my heart...well I am gonna do it.

Everything you do, no matter how ordinary is worth doing with total attention.
Determine what it takes to wake yourself up and do it everyday. You don't have to live like a robot.
Living Zen means seeing each incident for what it is, and not carrying any expectations forward to apply to any other incidents.

The first step to recognizing what you do and don't control in your life is to let go of your expectations. If you don't expect anything, everything will be a new experience.

Plans are fine. Even Necessary! But your attachments TO those plans are absurd. You cannot control the world. Only your reaction to it.

People will think what they want to think. You can jump through hoops trying to fine-tune reactions of other people to everything you do...but what kind of life is that? All you can control is your ownreaction to the circumstances in your life. And that is PLENTY.

This is good stuff...I'm cleaning out the attic that is my brain. I'm getting rid of stuff that I don't need. (Worry, fear, preconceptions) I don't need them.

On a lighter note...
I am:
making a fresh pot of veggie soup.
getting excited about going to CHA.
wanting to scrap baby pictures of Jude and Bing...
watching Marley try so badly to walk.
Planning for Sean's trip to Chattanooga the first week in July...maybe we will call it home.
Realizing that I don't call the people i love enough.
Loving Scrap In Style TV
Doing Tae-Bo every single morning. (The Billy bands come in the mail this week...and I'm SCARED.)
Listening to Over the Hedge play on the TV behind me.
Playing Scavenger hunts with Jude. and lots of Tic-Tac-Toe, Mother May I?, and coloring too!

Dreaming of when we buy our first home.
Giving lots of Time outs to Bing AKA Bingladesh, Bing Bong, Binguin, Bingo Bango, Bumblebing.
Honestly and Truly enjoying life.

I love that John Lennon quote:

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans".

13 people took the time to say:

Amber said...

i love ya.
you are so right.
i called u last evening.
call me backs.
xo

Pound said...

i'm kinda lol that bing is getting all the time outs.

p.s. did you get my email??? about your package? and how you basically handed halpert over to me????? =P~~

Jody said...

Liked your insights here. And yes...I think a lot of people 'screwed up' what I believed about church/religion/Christianity too. They were human...and obviously had shortcomings...but I can say that God has shown HImself to be real to me in spite of the messes of others. Good luck to you on your own spiritual journey. I hope the Truth becomes really obvious and real in your life. There's nothing better than living with absolute Peace & Assurance!
Enjoy your kiddos! Even the time outs...this season of life passes all too quickly! =)

JB said...

I've been having the same religion issues for years. A friend of mine took a long time the other night explaining some things to me and made me feel loads better about my doubts. It's ok to not know. It's ok to be confused. This is your life, live it how you feel good living it.

staceyfike said...

lennon also said "before elvis, there was nothing...."


now that's zen for ya!

Natalie said...

I feel EXACTLY the way you do about religion. And many thanks for sharing that Zen stuff. I loved every word of it.

You rock, Miss A! Like, whoa!

Anonymous said...

You know I am right there with you sister!!! I am so into Zen right now, we are on like the same cosmic path, LOL!! BUT alas, I still just DON"T KNOW!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ash for that Zen stuff. That's how I've been feeling lately. I don't really have a religion issue, but a life and people issue. Sometimes I just want to let stuff go and sometimes that makes me feel like an A-hole, but anyway, you made me feel better. LOVE to you. Oh yeah, and PEACE too.

Unknown said...

love you my friend...
may just call you this afternoon...
i need a good talk :)

Court

JB said...

Hey, I realized I had done some research recently on a topic similar to this. I looked on Wikipedia to find the most succinct explanation of the phrase 'wabi-sabi': "It (wabi-sabi) nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." Kind of makes me feel better about a LOT of things in my life, to know there's this ancient theory on things. You know? Anyway, it has Buddhist ties, and that's what triggered the connection in my mind. Just wanted to share!

Anonymous said...

i
totally
agree
:o)
now
on
to
our
swap!

Sarah said...

Embracing the moment.
yes.
that's good stuff.

so is MJ with walking urges. woah.

Kimberly Scott said...

I need whatever you are reading:)